We're approaching the shortest day of the year, but fortunately Film Comment has two nice, long lists to get you through it!
On Friday, the magazine weighed in on the best released and unreleased films of 2012 with its exhaustive critics poll. Taking votes from over 120 influential film critics, the poll is the most comprehensive assessment of the year in cinema out there. The result? A list of the 50 best films released in 2012 and the 50 best films of 2012 that do not have U.S. distribution for 2012 or 2013—the latter a departure from previous editions of the poll, in which films set to be released in the upcoming year were also included.
Without further ado, here's the tip of the iceberg and links to the full results over at FilmComment.com. What do you think of the final lists? Let us know in the comments below!
1. Leos Carax’s Holy Motors
2. Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master
3. Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom
4. Jafar Panahi’s & Mojtaba Mirtahmasb’s This Is Not a Film
5. Michael Haneke’s Amour
6. Béla Tarr’s The Turin Horse
7. Jean-Pierre’s & Luc Dardenne’s The Kid With a Bike
8. Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
9. Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln
10. Kathryn Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty
1. Joachim Lafosse’s Our Children
2. Song Fang’s Memories Look at Me
3. Alan Berliner’s First Cousin Once Removed
4. Ying Liang’s When Night Falls
5. Jun Robles Lana’s Bwakaw
6. Manoel de Oliveira’s Gebo and the Shadow
7. Nicolas Rey’s Differently, Molussia
8. Heinz Emigholz’s Perret in France and Algeria
9. David Gatten‘s The Extravagant Shadows
10. Wang Bing’s Three Sisters