The Leopard - Il gattopardo
Thursday, July 25, 2019
This screening is now standby only! Pending availability, standby tickets will be given out first-come, first-served starting 20 minutes prior to the screening.
In between the double feature, attendees are invited to a reception in the Furman Gallery sponsored by Radeberger.
Luchino Visconti reached new heights of epic grandeur with his sweeping, Palme d’Or–winning account of political upheaval and generational sea change in Risorgimento-era Italy. A bewhiskered Burt Lancaster is the leonine patriarch of a ruling-class Bourbon family in the last gasps of its dominance as Garibaldi and his redshirts upend social order and a new spirit ascends—embodied by beautiful people Alain Delon and Claudia Cardinale. With fastidious attention to period detail, Visconti evokes a gilded world fading into oblivion, his camera gliding over baroque palazzos, magnificent banquets, and ornate ceremonies. It all culminates in a majestic, dusk-to-dawn ball sequence that is as poignant as it is breathtaking. Restored in association with Cineteca di Bologna, Pathé, Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé, Twentieth Century Fox, and CSC-Cineteca Nazionale. Restoration funding by Gucci and The Film Foundation.
This screening is part of our free weekly double features this summer to celebrate Film at Lincoln Center’s 50th anniversary.
- Registration for a single ticket per person is subject to availability.
- If you register for more than one ticket, only one registration will be honored.
- If you register online, you must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to showtime to claim your seat, at which point tickets may be forfeited in the event of a standby line.
- Online registrants should skip the box office by presenting your Print-at-Home ticket (via print-out or on your mobile device) to the theater usher.
- Please note: walk-ups will still be accepted; tickets to be distributed on a space-available basis.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to be the first to learn about events at Film at Lincoln Center, including free programming!